Santos Lashes Out at LaLota, Who Applauds His Historic Expulsion From House of Representatives. - 27 East

Santos Lashes Out at LaLota, Who Applauds His Historic Expulsion From House of Representatives.

icon 2 Photos
Nick LaLota

Nick LaLota

U.S. Rep Nick LaLota

U.S. Rep Nick LaLota

Tom Gogola on Dec 5, 2023

U.S. Representative Nick LaLota said in a statement on Friday, December 1, that the successful congressional vote that day to expel his fellow Long Island Congressman George Santos from the House of Representatives was “a huge win for New Yorkers.”

Santos, who is under federal indictment on 13 charges related to allegations that he misused campaign funds for personal use, and other alleged misdeeds, was elected to Congress in 2022 as part of a so-called “Red Wave” on Long Island that also saw the Republican LaLota defeat Democratic Suffolk County Legislator Bridget Fleming in the 1st District race to replace Lee Zeldin, a Republican who left Congress to pursue an ultimately failed campaign to unseat State Governor Kathy Hochul.

For the past year, Santos has represented New York’s 3rd Congressional District, which covers a big section of mostly western Long Island and a sliver of Queens.

His Pinocchio-like presence in the House has been a thorn in the side of Long Island Republicans including LaLota, who have taken pains to distance themselves from Santos, who was expelled from the House on a vote that saw the entire Long Island congressional delegation — with the exception of Santos himself — vote with more than 100 House Republicans and almost all Democrats to show him the door. The final vote was 311-114.

The “huge win for New Yorkers” was, however, not apparently the view of upstate Republican Representative Elise Stefanik, the third-ranking Republican member of the House, who voted against Santos’s expulsion.

“With the expulsion of George Santos, Nassau and Queens county residents are one giant step closer to having real representation in the House of Representatives,” LaLota said. “Today, my colleagues and I set a strong precedent: A member who lies about everything about themselves to get elected will be expelled so voters can have a chance at a proper election. With George Santos in Washington’s rearview mirror, it’s time to focus on policy issues like the border and our nation’s debt.”

Following his expulsion, Santos lashed out at several Republican congressmen via the social media platform X, including LaLota, whom he charged had been a “no show” at his Board of Elections job while attending law school, as first reported in The Hill, MSN and elsewhere.

“Did Rep Lalota no-show to his taxpayer-funded job while going to school and if so, he can potential have stolen public funds form the tax payers of NY,” Santos raged on X. “I will let the Office of Congressional Ethics determine the validity of this grave allegation raised in his local media.”

“George is just mad the congressman has three actual degrees while he lied about having one,” said LaLota spokesman Will Kiley, via email, in response to the charge.

The Santos expulsion also highlighted the power and critical role that local weekly community newspapers can play to provide accountability for locally promoted candidates such as Santos. The North Shore Leader first raised questions and alarms about Santos’s claims about his personal and work history before he was elected, which would eventually include claims by Santos that his mother was killed as a result of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and that he had lost relatives to the Holocaust. Neither of those claims turned out to be true.

Several months after Santos took office, The New York Times followed up on the North Shore Leader’s reporting with an extensive investigation into Santos’s various fabrications, which also included a claim that he owned a home in “the Hamptons.”

Following his historic expulsion, a special election will be held,on February 13 to replace Santos, a process that was set in motion by Hochul this week. Numerous candidates have already announced that they are running.

You May Also Like:

Southampton Police Reports for the Week of April 3

HAMPTON BAYS — A Hampton Bays man was arrested by Southampton Town Police on April 1 in connection with a March 9 theft of a boat trailer from an East Quogue property. Anthony Colonna, 29, was charged with grand larceny, a felony, and conspiracy to commit a crime, a misdemeanor, for his role in the theft of the trailer, which was valued at $8,000. Police had previously arrested a Medford man, Christian Klemm, 29, in connection with the crime, who was charged with two felonies for possession of stolen property and grand larceny. 2 Apr 2025 by Staff Writer

Southampton DWI Arrests for the Week of April 3

Enrique F. Diaz Chocho, 36, of Flanders was arrested just after 6 p.m. on March 29 and charged with DWI after Southampton Town Police officers responded to a report of a two-car accident on Flanders Road near Red Creek Road and found Chocho had been driving one of the vehicles in an intoxicated condition. Nicholas Davis, 18, of Hampton Bays was arrested just after midnight on March 29 and charged with DWI after he was involved in a one-car crash on Oaktree Lane in East Quogue and was determined by a responding Southampton Town Police officer to have been drinking ... by Staff Writer

The Mountain

Southampton Town officials, it must be said, are very much on point when it comes to affordable housing. It’s not just lip service: The town is doing its level best to begin to address the ongoing crisis that is making it harder for the town’s workforce to stay here, and more difficult for the town’s business community to fill positions. It became problematic a few years ago, but today it’s probably the biggest issue Town Hall faces. And it appears that all hands are on deck. The town’s voters also have done their part, approving a new Community Housing Fund ... by Editorial Board

Final Hurdle Cleared for Algae Harvesters at Lake Agawam

The final hurdle standing in the way of green-lighting an algae harvester project at Lake ... by Cailin Riley

Eastport Tobacco Shop Closed After Illicit Cannabis Raid; Employee Arrested

Suffolk County Police arrested the employee of an Eastport tobacco shop last week for illegally ... by Staff Writer

April Express Sessions Will Focus on Pros and Cons of Historic District Expansion in Southampton Village

The delicate push and pull between preservation and property rights is familiar to many East End homeowners, as well as local government officials, and it’s an issue that’s been a particular flashpoint in Southampton Village recently. An analysis of a proposed historic district expansion in Southampton Village will be the topic of discussion for the next Express Sessions panel discussion, set for Thursday, April 10, from noon until 2 p.m. at Union Burger Bar at 40 Bowden Square in Southampton Village. The village received a $40,000 Certified Local Government Historic Preservation Grant from the state last fall to study the ... by Cailin Riley

Hampton Bays Cannabis Shop Roils Residents Right out of Gate

With objections to a proposal to open a pot shop in a former bank building ... by Michael Wright

Proposed Westhampton Beach Village Budget Would Increase Taxes by 9 Percent, Piercing State Tax Cap

The Westhampton Beach Village Board is poised to adopt a $14.4 million fiscal year 2025-26 ... by Bill Sutton

Southampton Village Union Alleges Mishandling of Sensitive Employee Records

The leadership of the Civil Service Employees Association, the union that represents much of the ... by Cailin Riley

Southampton Town Will Eliminate Red Lights on County Road 39 for Two Weeks as Experiment on Traffic Flow

Southampton Town will expand its “cops and cones” traffic management efforts with a novel experiment ... by Michael Wright